Update January 2011:
The tires highlighted below have long been replaced. The Maxxis and Yokohama both worked well, but I am currently
running a set of BFG KM2s in the 255/85 size and love them.
Yokohama Geolander ATs
The truck came stock with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail Terrains (265-70R16). These are a really poor tire and I
got rid of them quickly. My first set of larger tires were the Yokohama Geolander ATs (285-75R16). I bought
these tires used and got another 40k out of them. They worked great off-road and held up well in rough, rocky terrain. I
would recommend these tires to anyone looking for a good all terrain tire.
When the time came to get a new set, I did a lot of research. There are many options available for the 285-75 size,
but I wanted to try a new size, something a little taller and a little more narrow, and more aggressive.
My research pointed me to the 255-85R16. There are several options in this size. I looked hard at the BF Goodrich MTs,
I got a set of 4 Maxxis Bighorns (255-85R16) off of Ebay for $525.00, shipped. For truck tires, this was a great deal.
Here are some pictures.
After 5000 miles the tires do not show any uneven wear or advanced wear. When aired down to 16psi, the sidewalls folded
really well over large rocks. In sand they footprint lengthened to allow good flotation. My initial impressions are good. The tires do
have some siping from the factory, more than other MTs. I will post up my comments on the rain/snow handing after a few good
storms this winter.
Tire Fitment Modifications
In addition to the lift, some minor changes to the wheel well are required to run larger tires. The one that is most important is
called the "pinch-weld" mod. There is a pinch-weld on the back of the front wheel wells that will contact the tire on a
turn under compression. Here are some pictures to show how I did mine. If you search the Toyota forums, there is a lot
of information on doing this mod.
The plastic trim needs trimmed off similar to what I did because it sticks way out. The actual pinch-weld is what is
painted black in the photo. This sharp corner needs pounded over to the side and then paint should be applied to the
bare metal left over to prevent rust. This creates a new problem in that cutting the plastic piece opens a channel for debris to
enter and collect in the door jam area.
I corrected the problem by riveting in a piece of plastic. The piece I put it does not stick out as far as what was there
to begin with and it does not contact the tire.
Here is the passenger side done as well.
Another issue with larger tires is the fact that they won't fit in the stock spare tire carrier. I had to cut off the
ends of the spare tire carrier bars to accomodate the larger tires. This left a jagged edge that would hit
right mid side-wall, possibly damaging the spare. I opted to weld on some flat stock to extend the
spare tire carrier bars.
Here are some pictures of what I am talking about.